.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 167 - Human spirit

Today was my last diving day of this trip. As if this was not sad enough, we had a guy in our group who came to Cozumel as part of his "bucket list". The sight of this helpless man dying of cancer made me cry underwater. He was absolutely oblivious to his surroundings, couldn't read his pressure gauge, didn't have enough strength to inflate or deflate his BCD. But this is not what I found the most moving. In fact, I cried for his wife. A woman in her mid-40's, she got married (for the first time) to this guy only 3 years ago. They spent their honeymoon diving in Cozumel. One month later he was diagnosed with colon cancer. Right after getting married this poor woman had become a nurse to a terminally ill. What terrible fate. But she is with him, for better or for worse, wearing a kind smile and an unbelievably patient attitude.

Or maybe I was crying for me. Because I don't know if I would ever be able to display such immense strength of character and humane kindness toward anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment