.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 363 – Hyperbaric Miracle

Today was my last session at the hyperbaric chamber. A year and a half ago, while in Cozumel on my medical leave, I discovered that hyperbaric O2 therapy might help with migraines. The regiment is 20 sessions, one hour of continuous breathing of 100% O2 at the pressure of 2 bar (aka depth of 33 feet). Having had experimented with pretty much every other treatment on earth and nearly dying of the exhausting non-stop unbearable pain, I went for it. And miraculously, it helped! It didn't make my migraines completely disappear, but they became much less frequent and much more tolerable. For best maintenance, you are supposed to repeat the treatment every couple of years. That's why I have just completed my second hyperbaric cycle.

Hyperbaric O2 therapy is an amazing phenomenon. It looks like it helps with a huge range of diseases and injuries, from a bad burn to stroke to autism! Stroke is a very popular diagnosis qualifying for hyperbaric treatment in Mexico. One of the patients I shared the chamber with this time had a stroke, and I during the 20 days of my treatment I actually saw the progress of her recovery with my own two eyes, and it is remarkable. When she started, she couldn't talk at all, and then, little by little, her mouth came back to function, and words started to come out: very unsteady and cautious at first, they reached the normal speed and quality pretty fast and by her 35th session her speech completely returned!

Yes, I know, there are some threats presented by O2. The overdose may result in oxygen toxicity and cause some unpleasant CNS problems, but it's impossible to get to such a destructive amount given the usual treatments' time / pressure combination. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but I honestly believe that the hyperbaric therapy is not that popular in the US only because of the economic threat that it may pose for the medical / pharmaceutical industry. If O2 under pressure can cure pretty much everything and anything, then who would spend money on anything else?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to be so superficial but can you elaborate on the wrinkles? Also can you make a comparison of the severity and frequency of the migranes before and after. For example, you had 3 a week and now 2 or less or is it just the amount of pain that changes?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no problem!:) Well, I cannot make any objective statements here, but my skin for sure looks better, healthier, more glowing. Makes sense, I guess, you are oxygenating your bloodstream. As to the migraines, I can certainly be more specific. The amount of pain is most definitely reduced. As to the frequency - when I did the treatments last time a year and a half ago, I had bad migraines every day (or the same one for days and months), and after the treatment not only they stopped, but I started to have migraines maybe 2-3 times a month, which subsequently reduced to once a month. As some time passed (about a year and a half actually), I started feeling worsening, but still it wasn't as bad as before. But I decided to do another round of treatments in the hope that this time it will reduce headache to complete nothingness. Hopefully...

    ReplyDelete