.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 365 – 365…

I feel nervous about today. I have this idea that I must somehow summarize all my experiences for the past year and draw conclusions. Is it the business manager in me talking or is it really necessary?

At work, I had always been a big proponent of annual evaluations. But real, thoughtfully developed, meaningful ones, not just silly ratings that are good for nothing. I am certain that it is absolutely crucial for the morale and professional growth of any employee to see how the set goals are matching with the progress made, what extra-curriculum tasks they have accomplished, what obstacles have interfered with the progress and have or have not been overcome, etc. Several years ago I even created a 360-degree evaluation template tailored for our team at Strategic Insight, and we all religiously filled out the exhaustive questionnaire at the end of every year, because this process does work. It encourages you to take a breather from your daily business chores and look at the totality of your work. Otherwise, there is a really big chance we might completely forget why we are doing this work to begin with, how we contribute to the greater good of the business, and what benefits – beyond money – we are getting from it (if any).

I wish somebody had created such a questionnaire about this year of my life. I would be so happy to fill it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment