.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Saturday, February 19, 2011

February 16, 2011 – Isla Pasión

Although Cozumel is Mexico's third largest island (250 square miles, 80,000 inhabitants as of 2005), it is really tiny. I have spent a total of about six months over the past two years on this 30-mile long, 10-mile wide island. I should really know all its little secrets. But I don't. I don't even know some of the very obvious stuff... From now on though, I declare exploration my new Cozumel lifestyle.

Today's exploration route – Isla Pasión – a little island, located just a 5-minute boat ride off the North coast of Cozumel. Javier and I took a bike "tour" up to the boat departure point.

I enjoyed our bike ride very much. Even Javier's constant whining about my slow speed didn't spoil the experience. It's about 8 km (5 mi) from our house, which is quite a distance for me considering that I have just learnt how to bike. The road stretches all the way North past the Villa Aldora, Puerto de Abrigo, golf course and turns into a dirt road with beautiful surrounding greenery. First, it's fat and luscious palm trees and then, all of a sudden, there's a whole field of strange trees that look like they jumped out of some fantasy movie or a fairy-tale and will start talking any moment now. You have to make sure to hold tight onto your bike handles though – the numerous potholes are pretty deep and sometimes hard to notice because of the treacherous reflection of the sun. It's all worth it though, for the view that opens up at the end of this road is magnificent.

The water, strangely reddish near the shore, turns into golden brown a bit further, to become a turquoise blue at the horizon right around the green contour of La Isla Pasión.

Liang told me there used to be a walking bridge you could take between the islands about 5 years ago, but all that remains of it now is a 100-foot long wooden "pier". Actually, I cannot even figure out how to get there if you don't want to be part of an organized excursion (I have never seen a worse website than the one they made for Isla Pasion –www.isla-pasion.com– a shame really, the island itself seems to be quite a paradise).

Early in the morning it's so quiet and peaceful here. You just want to sit on the little wooden bridge-pier forever and gaze at the sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment