.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 6, 2011 – The most expensive commercials

This blog is becoming some sort of support group for me. "Hi, I'm Maria. I don't know how to ride a bicycle." "Hi, I'm Maria. I have OCD and I pursue symmetry." "Hi, I'm Maria. I get easily addicted to anything."

Now it's time for a new confession. "Hi, I'm Maria. I don't like sports. I don't understand sports. I don't know the first thing about sports. I don't care about sports."

I find life very exciting in general, but there are two things that never strike any spark in me: newspapers and sports. When I was in high school, I had to force myself reading news for our classroom presentations, but it was always a struggle. I just don't understand the newspaper lingo… not in any language. My gaze can glide over the paragraphs for minutes on end, but I will be getting nothing out of it – my thoughts would just fly somewhere far-far away, in a world that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Same with sports. I rarely get forced into watching sports, but every time I find myself in this awkward situation, I just go for it. I never bother to learn the rules. I just stare at the screen, without any understanding or any desire to understand what's happening, and think my thoughts. It's meditative reallyJ.

It could be embarrassing too, though. Last night, during the Superbowl, Tauheed said to me, "I cannot believe those ridiculous commercials are supposed to be the most expensive ones." I responded, "No, no, the most expensive commercials are during American Football!" Everybody fell silent… "Hi, I'm Maria. I thought we were watching baseball…"


4 comments:

  1. Can you hear my laughter from there?!?
    No, I am laughing AT you!

    Gotta borrow one of the bikes donated at school and start practicing my riding - then find one to buy, borrow, steal this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can hear you laugh. In fact, I heard your laugh and saw your face all the way through writing this post:))).

    We'll get you a bike in a snap here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's open a bike shop on the island, I need one too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't need to open a shop to get you a bicycle. There are tons of bikes that are waiting to be sold in the streets of Cozumel:).

    ReplyDelete