.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Friday, October 8, 2010

SOS

To whom it may concern:

SOS! I need epithet help here,
I am so tired of using "beautiful", "amazing", "spectacular", "picturesque", "stunning", "wonderful", "gorgeous" all the time! There must be more words describing the beauty of the world!!!

I looked up synonyms to "beautiful" and "picturesque" in the dictionary, and here's what I found. But let's play a little: whoever comes up with more terms (especially for "picturesque") beyond this list gets a surprise prize from one of the countries I'm visiting. How about that? Come on, help me!!! Please!

Thank you in advance!

Yours truly,

M.

BEAUTIFUL

PICTURESQUE

pulchritudinous (well, I’m NOT using that one)
fascinating
magnificent
resplendent
delightful
statuesque (hmmm)
admirable
alluring
angelic
appealing
beauteous
bewitching (I like that!)
charming
classy
comely (eh?)
cute
dazzling
delicate
divine
elegant
enticing
excellent
exquisite
fair
fine
foxy (How does “foxy waterfalls” sound?J)
gorgeous
grand
handsome
ideal
lovely
marvelous
pleasing
radiant
ravishing
refined
stunning
sublime
superb
symmetrical (interesting…)
wonderful

beautiful
artistic (really?)
charming
colorful
pleasant
striking
graphic (strange)
pictorial
quaint (noooo!)
scenic
vivid


4 comments:

  1. No synonym to offer.
    My advice : don't overuse subjective, superlative adjectives. Describing things as they are, with lots of details, gives the reader a more accurate sense of their beauty.

    "With its cracks, tunnels, and chimneys, the uneven, coral and sponge covered reef looked like a mountain on LSD"

    is more specific and conveys the wonderness of it more than

    "OMG the reef is so f…ing awesome and beautiful and amazing".

    This is why I love reading your blog. Besides being hindsightful, your writing is naturally filled with all the little real details that bring things to life.
    Pay the same attention to details in your hotel reviews and you won't need to use that many synonyms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got ya! Thank you, Ana! So did you end up getting my link to the http://www.thetravelwriterslife.com/, the profession I think you might need to consider with your background and experience?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checked the link. Thanks.

    I actually worked in a similar field when I was tourism editor for a French magazine 10 years ago. Was fun, not sure I would want to make a carrier out of it though.

    Having to report on your travels is not the same as doing it for pleasure.
    The pressure of getting your facts and details right doesn't allow you to just sit back and relax and let the details come to you… or not.

    The job also doesn't pay enough that you can travel independantly. Many times you make deals with airlines and hotels, or go as part of a pool of journalists on a specific package tour. Like what you're experiencing on your trip. Sure, you stay in places you wouldn't otherwise afford, you eat in the best restaurants, but the organizers (whether a hotel consortium or the tourism board) want you to see and experience as much as you possibly can.

    It was fun at first, but after a while I got tired of the 7 am breakfast, 8 am sightseeing, 10 am winetasting, 11 am another visit, noon winetasting again, 1 pm 5 course lunch (where you usually end up sitting next to some official trying to sell you on the beauty of his area), 3 pm sightseeing, 4 pm local liquor tasting……… and so forth until you crash completely wasted in your perfect king size bed at 11 pm. Your suite has got the nicest tub in the world but tomorrow is another crazy day so you don't even get to enjoy it.

    Now, writing for a publication like Lonely Planet sounds a lot more fun to me. But in this world where there are so few places off the beaten track left, I'm not sure I would like to entice thousand of readers to flock there.

    Truthfully, I have no carrier plan. Just said no to my boss who, once again, offered me a "lifelong" work contract. Can't picture myself being stuck in an office with the same people for the next decade or more !!!

    The Cozumel magazine project is out of the question right now. Not the right time to invest in Mexico, but that obviously won't deter me from going to the island and the mainland as a visitor or an employee if I can land a job.

    I'm gonna try to find some copyediting jobs here that I can do freelancing from anywhere in the world. The pay is not bad, I have the laptop, software, skills and experience. Just need to do some networking.

    If that doesn't work out… Oh well. Something will come along eventually. It always does.

    What about you ? Any project/plan/path you'd like to explore ?

    ReplyDelete