.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 112 - Pain

As defined by Wikipedia, pain is an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage. In case of a migraine pain, for example, try an unbearable sensory and emotional experience... I am lucky that I have migraines only once a month nowadays, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an awful experience. In fact, I feel that the less frequent my migraines get, the more emotionally and physically intolerable they become (as you get "un-used" to them, I guess).

I want to write about MY pain, but I'm in so much pain that I cannot even think about it...

Some two years ago, I read Atonement by Ian McEwan, that I think contains the best description of the migraine and its impact on people's life and the life of those around them that I have ever encountered in literature. As an example, this is one of the passages:

"She decided against closing the French windows, and sat down at one end of the Chesterfield. She was not exactly waiting, she felt. No one else she knew had her knack of keeping still, without even a book on her lap, of moving gently through her thoughts, as one might explore a new garden. She had learned her patience through years of sidestepping migraine. Fretting, concentrated thought, reading, looking, wanting – all were to be avoided in favor of a slow drift of association, while the minutes accumulated like banked snow and the silence deepened around her."

This is how it would feel if it were (well, it WAS) painted...




This is a compilation of images on migraine that I have been browing through almost all day while trying to dull my own pain...



The images are taken from the following websites:
-
http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/alluring-abstract-art-of-agonizing-migraines/art

- http://www.migraineartwork.com/migraine_art.html

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, MH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH! That makes MY head hurt.
    If it makes you feel any better, I just heard from a bud who spent the weekend in Key West. He has a gash in his head. The origin is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Nicholas E., thank you for your comment about migraine diagnosis. Yes, I am diagnosed with severe migraine of absolutely unknown origin (all tests have been done, etc.), but nowadays it is MUCH BETTER than it used to be (2 years ago, for example, I had a non-stop migraine for 5 months, but now it's only once a month for a day). If we choose to believe the psychosomatic interpretation of things, pain is always supposed to guide us to or from somewhere, and so far I took the message as needing to quit my job and travel - hence all the travels and this blog:).

    ReplyDelete