.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 135 - Cliche

The funny thing about all cliche expressions is that they are actually so accurate. It is disgusting really, because normally you try to avoid using them not to sound boring and cheesy, but in the end, they are the best way of expressing certain states of affairs...

"Practice makes perfect" is my cliche of the day. It is hard for me to believe that this time last year I was completely unable to see any life underwater. I could look straight at a huge grouper suspended mid-water 5 inches away from my face and not see it for the life of me. I would notice a turtle only after it whacked me over the head. I would not even dream about finding a flamingo tongue snail.

Today I see a lot: baby sharks tucked under hidden reef ledges, crabs in the darkest swim-throughs, toadfish, lobsters, drumfish, even the tiniest golden moray eel (its head popping in and out of a coral hide-out was the size of my finger nail). Marine life is everywhere around me - I don't even have to look for it, I just notice that it is there.

Either I have suddenly grown a new pair of eyes, or practice does make perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new-found eyes! Wish I'd been close enough to see your tiny golden eel.

    Funny that you are just now seeing - with your mad dive skills. I don't think I was nearly as solid in the water as you are, when I started being able to see.
    I might recommend a cavern course for all baby divers I meet!

    When you get tired of me going on about your diving accomplishments, please tell me so I will cut it out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Sallye, are you kidding me, "tired"???? Coming from YOU, it means the world!!!

    ReplyDelete