.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 27 - Getting tired of the tropical winter

I'm really getting tired of this shitty winter. The wind, the rain, the constant freezing underwater. Seriously, when will this end? It's been a month, I honestly think it's enough to make the point that the tropics also deserve winter.

I haven't dived for the past 5 days because of the wind and our little trip to Punta Allen, but although the weather hasn't become any better I didn't see the point of waiting any longer for it to change and went on the boat. It is so interesting how after only several days of break, you already feel so different - not that you completely forget how to dive, but you use a little more air, you feel a little lighter at the safety stop, a little more exhausted after the two dives. I even hear the same thing from the dive masters: they say that after a 5-7 day vacation they feel a little off about everything for the first 5-10 minutes of diving.

At my Spanish class - always a delight - Othon (that's my teacher's name) educated me on the Mexican law that states that if you impregnate a minor and don't get married to her, you go to jail for 20 years. The law is very much enforced, and even bails are not allowed. That is why you see so many young married couples here. Almost every 40 year-old I meet has a child of 22 or so. Now I understand why. Although some may say that it's the same as 20 years of marriage, and choose prison. After all, Mexico is a somewhat free country. But in all seriousness, there's another problem: even if the guy wants to marry the girl after getting her pregnant, but her parents don't agree to it for whatever reason (and of course being a minor she has no say in it), the guy still has to go to jail. The system is not that inhumane as it may sound though - there's always an option of divorce:).

In the evening, Ana picked me up and we went to have dinner at a somewhat upscale Mexican place called La Kinta. I had a dish with a funny name "Porky Pasilla". Very tasty.

1 comment:

  1. I really wouldn't mind some tropical weather right now in exchange for New York Weather :)

    Masha Meytlis

    ReplyDelete