.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 2 - hectic

I know that nobody will probably have any pity for me just because I'm now by the ocean in Cozumel, but before you make any faces, consider the following:
  • Wake up - go to pay for the aparment rented. The landlord only accepts pesos and she can only do the whole month's pay at once, or no key. Cash machines only give very small amounts at a time, all the exchanges are closed because it's some kind of holiday in Mexico today. Finally, she decides to accept dollars, but gives me a half-hour lecture on why it is so extremely inconvenient to her. Now my questions is - why can't you wait and let me pay you in pesos over a couple of days??? Take my passport or something! Seriously!
  • Move all my stuff from the hotel to the new apartment - thankfully they are only 1-minute walk apart which makes many things very easy. In the middle of the move it turns out that my apartment in NYC is finally being rented. What joy, yes! But of course the lady tenant needs to move in tomorrow, while her application is still pending (since she just saw the apartment today for the first time - I really don't get people, why do everything last minute!!!). So my broker is texting, emailing, FB'ing, and Skyping me all at once to get my attention to the urgency of the situation so that I can talk my doormen into letting her in tomorrow morning without a signed lease. I do that... Several times... For some reason one phone call is not enough to transfer her name from my lips to the building's computer... No comment.
  • My new Mexican apartment has one advantage - an amazing ocean view. It comes furnished, but for some reason with nothing else in it - no sheets, no towels, no plates - nothing. Being now a landlord of a furnished apartment myself, I praise my personal attention to a potential tenant's needs... This lucky lady who is renting my place is going to enjoy nice bedding, fluffy towels, plates to eat from, cups to drink from... As always, I'm good - surprise:).
  • Anyway, for me here everything has to be purchased or borrowed. Luckily, my friends from the hotel where I usually stay offered to give me everything I need. So nice! And I take them up on this offer. I take everything they can give me, but there are still some things that I want and they don't have - like a drinking water device - an apparatus that cannot be underestimated while in Mexico. And so I go to Mega - this huge (and I mean - HUGE) supermarket / department store, the name doesn't lie, it is MEGA. But on my way over there, some more questions from my broker arise, so I have to make an emergency pit stop at a No Name Bar that has internet connection. I answer all the questions diligently (adding a lot of my own to the communication mix, making it impossible to unglue my face from the computer), while chomping on an immense Turkish meatballs sandwich, chatting with Dima and Tatyana simultaneously, surrounded by the Russian language from all the bar's adjacent tables. Periodically, I exclaim something horribly obscene in my mother tongue because I lose the internet connection, and all the heads turn. I feel slightly embarrassed.
  • Oh, and did I mention that the temperature ranges from freezing to scorching hot with sudden 15-minute downpours all day today?
  • Finally, everything is bought at the Mega and now I'm standing in line for 30 minutes - I kid you not - because the cashier keeps recounting a previous customer's money - maybe 200 bucks. First, she sorts them by banknote denomination: 20, 10, 5, 1. Then, counts banknotes in each pile and tries to use a calculator to consecutively add it all up. When this fails, she counts the money in the piles again, this time writing the total in each on a little piece of paper... That flies away... Why do I not leave this particular one? Good question. I have all my stuff already laid out on the counter and I have a lot of stuff. So I try to consider this being an exercise in tolerance and not a horribly unlucky choice of lines. That doesn't work out, so I stand there fuming on the inside and puffing up on the outside.
  • And the backdrop for all this beauty is a thought that the ocean - so peaceful, so calm, so gorgeous - is only several feet away yet totally unattainable at the moment. Or tomorrow, because I have to be on stand-by for the moving in tenant in case her name gets erased from the computer somehow - unfortunately, I cannot discard this possibility...

I'm back in my hammock now, really trying to enjoy the waves break on the shore again, but I'm being eaten alive by mosquitos and at this point have absolutely no energy to stand up and get a bugs spray. So be it. I'll just scratch myself to death tomorrow, thus concluding my short trip around the world...

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This was such a great idea. I love, love, love hearing what you're up to. Thanks for keeping this journal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you are praising yourself for this idea, right? I'm so happy to hear that my usual modesty rubbed off on you hehe:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traveling is so much fun...and so was reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should I bring my travel hammock?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sallye, there's nowhere to hang the hammock in my apartment, unfortunately. I have the hammock itself:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I read it that you had a place to hang it, though I never thought of inside... Guess I'll have to rent one at the Villa A.

    ReplyDelete