.post {text-decoration:italic;} -->

Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 6 - El Norte is coming


The hurricane season in the Caribbean is normally in August, but the impressive sound of downpour and gushing winds behind my window at the moment, would really make you believe it's right now, in February. Knock on wood, of course, because that would really be a sub-optimal situation for my ocean front apartment, I guess:).

But this is just "El Norte" - a powerful wind that is usually blowing around 20-25 kts, making this island a true paradise for kiteboarders during its reign from September till May. For us divers, it means diving in different spots because the sea gets too choppy. The way the island is positioned, all the diving is normally done on its West side, because the East is too rough. But when El Norte is in effect, it all gets reversed. So, maybe finally I'll get to dive on the East side this time - exciting! Today looks like the beginning of this Norte (it's funny how the whole island is reverently referring to it as if it were some kind of deity. By the way this word is pronounced here you feel that it spells with the capital N).

The boat ride to our dive sites this morning was fun - apparently I find the choppy seas and dodging the waves pretty entertaining, especially if you manage to become one with the boat (otherwise - bengay will be your butt's friend for a while, and that just sounds wrong:)). And another discovery that I made today is that apparently I'm in love with claustrophobic places as far as diving is concerned, so my next step is definitely cave certification. There's just something absolutely magical about the architecture of caves and tight swim-throughs: it's scary and beautiful, makes your heart beat a little faster. And if you don't use a flashlight, it's even better somehow, because then you have to totally rely on your senses to get you in the right direction.

Minor "minus" of today: Grocery shopping is no fun here, after the first thrill of "What the heck is this weird fruit?" is gone. The supermarket is weirdly organized. Sugar is sold only in stupid industrial size bags. Long lines. Cashiers are all similar to the one described in my Day 1 supermarket experience. Nothing is in English (which is good for practicing Spanish, but inconvenient in general). No eye-drops for contacts. No Vitamin C in normal packaging that is not either a 1000-pill industrial box or a 10-tablet outrageously expensive item. Trust me - FreshDirect is the ultimate it!

Major "plus" of today: Eating food is FUN here. Especially when you are in with the locals and they take you to the real places with no tourist menu. Today's lunch: deep fried freshest white fish that I ate every bone of, I swear; combo of 3 ceviches - shrimp, conc, white fish; and the absolute best home-made sparkling lime lemonade ever!

2 comments:

  1. start making a list of things you miss - I'll bring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was thinking about it yesterday - will do! And we'll exchange the things that I actually need that you bring for the things that I brought with me and actually don't need at all:).

    ReplyDelete